58°
Weather by

View Full Forecast

Login | Register

facebook Icon rss Icon twitter Icon

Letter: Know your Republicans

20 Comments | Leave a Comment


Mark Gillespie’s Feb. 5 letter made some questionable comments, like, “The leading Republican candidates can’t and won’t address real issues.”

I am sure that he means Republicans aren’t promising free college, European socialism, continuation of the Obama presidency and income equality — even though there is little evidence of widespread income inequality. I’m sure that he doesn’t mind or doesn’t understand the cost of free as it relates to government programs.

Republicans have campaigned on necessary issues. They want to change our extremely slow-growing economy that features people dropping out of the work force and decreasing average household incomes. They want to make health care affordable and available to people and taxpayers. They want to strengthen our downgraded military. They want to see America regain its status as a world leader, develop a meaningful immigration program and strengthen America by eliminating costly, punitive and unnecessary regulation of businesses.

For the complete article, please pick up a copy of The Daily Reflector. Current home delivery and electronic edition subscribers may log in to access this article at no charge. To become a subscriber, please click here or contact Customer Service at (252) 329-9505.

Comments

President Obama helped me pay my mortgage

Or maybe it was me working and getting a paycheck that paid the mortgage. I'll get back to you.

jeb 2016

Stay calm, vote Jeb

Anyone saying things were better in 2008than now

A peddling crap. Plain and simple. Like birthers you can't argue with them. Can't wait for president Clinton.

Well ,lets see.

Me personally.My Gross income is up. My Business expenses are way up. My business and personal insurance rates are more than double. My company health insurance plan was cancelled. My new personal health insurance plan is more than double than it was in 2008, (I'm male, But I am covered if I get pregnant). Food cost are way higher.(just check the price of hamburger these days) About gas prices, when gas was $3-4 per gallon Obama had no control, now he gets the credit? Nope! I'm sure there are more examples. Over all, I made less money pre- 2008 but at the end of the month I had more money left over . No crap.

10 to 20!

If there is justice in this country you might just be waiting 10 to 20, years that is, for Ms. Clinton to be POTUS. If there's justice!

I95 try to keep up

I95 wrote:
A peddling crap. Plain and simple. Like birthers you can't argue with them. Can't wait for president Clinton.
I do not think anyone is saying things were better in 2008. But your attempt to deny the truth about current jobs,wages,income gaps, real unemployment, rising cost of healthcare is foolish at best.The facts are there for all to see. The biggest problem you have is not arguing with birthers it is you can not argue with facts, which you conveniently chose to ignore or possibly may not be aware of. I95 what is the unemployment rate of black males ages 18-30?

fact

we are better off now. You admit it. Drive on!

I95

I95 wrote:
we are better off now. You admit it. Drive on!
Like I said no one is saying that all things are worse than they were in 2008, however that is not the same as saying your claims are correct. When in fact they are nothing but BS or ignorance of facts. But you have never liked to deal with facts. Like the following:" In a giant step backwards in eliminating special interests in Washington, the Democratic National Committee overturned a ban introduced by Barack Obama in 2008 restricting donations from federal lobbyists and super PACs. Unfortunately for Bernie Sanders’ supporters—who take pride in the Democratic presidential candidate’s refusal to accept funds from super PACs—the decision disproportionately benefits Hillary Clinton, as she is the only Democratic presidential candidate taking such donations. Campaign finance reform has been a major issue this political cycle, as both Democratic presidential candidates have incorporated it into their platforms—but only Mr. Sanders has acted on his proposal by refusing to accept super PAC money. According to The New York Times, Ms. Clinton received $47.9 million from super PACs in 2015, despite openly advocating for campaign finance reform. Ms. Clinton’s actions contradict her words, and suggest her proposals for reform are merely for political expediency."

I95 the born again neocon

I95 wrote:
A peddling crap. Plain and simple. Like birthers you can't argue with them. Can't wait for president Clinton.
Didnt know you were a war supporter, a wall street supporter,big bank supporter, a supporter of the "one percent", a supporter of sexually abusing women, you choose to support someone who says she is against the high cost of tuition and then charges a state university 250,000 dollars for a 45 minute speech, a supporter of putting lives at risk of those secretly serving this country, a supporter of lying to families who are mourning the loss of a loved one who died serving this country. You chose to support Clinton , you chose to support all these things which are Hilliar Clinton. I95 the neocon. LOL

I95

I found an article you might enjoy. It is written by one of Bill Clintons White House counsels http://www.salon.com/2016/02/16/the_clintons_will_really_try_anything_false_attacks_and_failed_strategies_as_hillary_repeats_2008/

more bafoonery from i95

Just more of your talking points 95. So you believe things are better under Obama. Lets look at some reports issued by the CBO, a non partisan arm of the federal government that you worship and think is the answer to all of our problems. There are 9.5 million more people on food stamps than there were when Obama took over. We have the lowest participation rate in the job market since the end of WWll. Health care costs have risen to new highs, except for your buddy crusader who pays 13.00 a month, and the sign up rate is lower than expected due to unaffordability. Household income is down since Obama became president. Federal income taxes are up. But because you are a Clintonite, facts are lies and lies are facts. Nixon erased 18.5 minutes from a tape while Hillary deleted 30,000 emails. Nixon resigned as president. You want Hillary as out next president. Hillary for Prison 2016. You really should get out of your garage apartment more and try getting your news from sources other than MSNBC or CNN. Even yahoo news does a better job than those two and Katie Curic is their anchor. Now go ahead and tell me how it's all Bush's fault and call me a racist. It is all you have.

Terrific Comments I95

16 million new jobs, unemployment from 10% to 4.9% 15 million with health care insurance. Auto industry saved. Lowest deficit in 8 years, filled up your tank lately? BYW whatever happened to that bin Laden guy?. You can simply ignore the paid trolls like mathteacher and his fellow kook "Equal..." They need to supplement their welfare checks.

REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES

are doing a good job of addressing the issues the majority of the public are concerned with in my opinion. I have watched all their debates.

What they say versus what they do

Mr. Ausbon lists what GOP candidates say. However, look at their tax and spending proposals. ALL of them want to zero out taxes on capital gains and corporations. They then stick it to everyone who lives off of a paycheck, Cruz wants to offset his cuts for the 1% by putting in a value added tax (VAT) on everything you purchase. They say they want to end welfare, but they put through the Farm Bill which is massive welfare for corporate farms, and just recently passed a tax/subsidy bill with $50 billion plus per year of welfare for the wealthy. Cruz and Rubio failed to vote against a $17 billion gift to Wall Street banks that asked for nothing in return, just a welfare handout to bankers. They say they want affordable health care for everyone, but then vote repeatedly to repeal the GOP-designed ACA without offering an alternative. Look at the embarrassment of Ted Cruz during the run up to the Iowa caucus when a voter challenged him on health care for his ill brother. Sen. Cruz had nothing to say and couldn't get away from the man fast enough. If you look at the proposals of all of the candidates, both sides of the aisle, everyone adds $500 billion or more in annual deficit spending. There is not one who has a plan that has any touch with reality and that leaves you and me falling down the shaft. So you choose, do you want massive welfare for 1% of the population or for 20% of the population? Either way, your pay check will be smaller.

Profbam

profbam wrote:
Mr. Ausbon lists what GOP candidates say. However, look at their tax and spending proposals. ALL of them want to zero out taxes on capital gains and corporations. They then stick it to everyone who lives off of a paycheck, Cruz wants to offset his cuts for the 1% by putting in a value added tax (VAT) on everything you purchase. They say they want to end welfare, but they put through the Farm Bill which is massive welfare for corporate farms, and just recently passed a tax/subsidy bill with $50 billion plus per year of welfare for the wealthy. Cruz and Rubio failed to vote against a $17 billion gift to Wall Street banks that asked for nothing in return, just a welfare handout to bankers. They say they want affordable health care for everyone, but then vote repeatedly to repeal the GOP-designed ACA without offering an alternative. Look at the embarrassment of Ted Cruz during the run up to the Iowa caucus when a voter challenged him on health care for his ill brother. Sen. Cruz had nothing to say and couldn't get away from the man fast enough. If you look at the proposals of all of the candidates, both sides of the aisle, everyone adds $500 billion or more in annual deficit spending. There is not one who has a plan that has any touch with reality and that leaves you and me falling down the shaft. So you choose, do you want massive welfare for 1% of the population or for 20% of the population? Either way, your pay check will be smaller.
nice post. Republicans and Democrats are all birds of a feather. Keep the masses pissed off at each other. They want to keep the status quo, it means retaining personal power and increasing their own wealth. Like I said we are screwed, we have a communist, a criminal and a clown leading the way. You cannot make this BS up. People should be afraid of what the future holds for their children and grandchildren.

resident agent of socialism I95 speaks out...

of his @$$ once again. During the so called Renaissance revival of the past 8 years my yearly tax bill to the Feds has increased from 325.00 in 2007 to over 5k in 2015. The state has increased from 85 to 1250 bucks. This is with no exemptions. So I guess if you dont do a damn thing and wait for a check things are getting better. Have you seen the murder rates of DEMOCRAT run cities like Chicago, Detroit,St Louis where evidently BLM really don't unless a LEO is involved. All of those cities have some of the most STRINGENT gun laws in the nation so what gives. This current administration has done wonders to weaken our military, alienate our allies and embolden our enemies. Lets not forget trying to destroy our healthcare system which still has millions uninsured which was the reason for the thing to begin with. The border which has been a speaking point only for many election cycles has finally become such a problem something has to be done. Imagine how the construction industry, lawncare, food worker jobs would look without the enormous influx of illegals especially in Pitt and surrounding counties. Just saying but still paying...

Break down

According to you America is falling apart. It just isn't. Not by any measure other than your hysterics that sound straight out of wingnut radio. We are moving in the right direction and things could be better if we worked together. Both sides have good ideas but this nonsense the teabaggers support is not goingvyo happen.

polls say otherwise.

Even the Huffington Post reports that 63.9% of Americans believe The Country is heading in the direction. The rest, well, we know these are the "non-working crowd" looking for free stuff, or those living in La La Land.

Typical republican straw man arguement.

Build a pile of lies then act like you have the solutions to fix them. Truth : in 2008 after 8 years of republican rule the economy was in the tank and health care was a dream. Two unfunded wars raged. Brown people shot in the streets by the very people paid to protect us. It was so bad, America turned away and elected the best candidate either party had to offer. Twice. Are things perfect now? No. Things are never perfect. But they are better. And that's what really makes Mac mad.

Typical Democrat Straw man argument

I95 wrote:
Build a pile of lies then act like you have the solutions to fix them. Truth : in 2008 after 8 years of republican rule the economy was in the tank and health care was a dream. Two unfunded wars raged. Brown people shot in the streets by the very people paid to protect us. It was so bad, America turned away and elected the best candidate either party had to offer. Twice. Are things perfect now? No. Things are never perfect. But they are better. And that's what really makes Mac mad.
Build a pile of lies then act you have the solutions.I95 just so you know "brown people" are still being shot in the streets. And mostly by other "brown people". Unemployment is in double digits, work force at the smallest rate since WWII. Incomes stagnant. Jobs being created are low paying and part time jobs. Health Care cost are rising. Millions remain uninsured. Over 63 percent of Americans feel the country is heading in the wrong direction. The presidents approval rating is less than 50 percent. You may say things are better but that really only applies to your situation and is your opinion. You can not make that claim for others. REAL unemployment remains in double digits. It is almost 40 percent for black males.With all that being said I just cannot see how anyone could support Trump, Cruz or Clinton.You cannot get much sleazier than those three candidates.

Add comment

Login or register to post comments

NCAA

Bless your heart
Bless your heart