58°
Weather by

View Full Forecast

Login | Register

facebook Icon rss Icon twitter Icon

National news

Back to Forum: Greenville News Board
516 replies [Last post]

Dr. Spatic
User offline. Last seen 1 year 43 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: Sep 3 2010
louis wrote:
I cannot take issue with what the NSA et al are doing. There has to be some kind of balance between "absolute" freedom and "absolute" security. Currently, I harbor an extreme dislike for that punk. I strongly feel he has, by his actions, comprised our security.
I agree with you about the punk. He truly is a traitor.
“Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
louis wrote:
I cannot take issue with what the NSA et al are doing. There has to be some kind of balance between "absolute" freedom and "absolute" security. Currently, I harbor an extreme dislike for that punk. I strongly feel he has, by his actions, comprised our security.
Mikey's gonna have to go ahead and disagree.........What most folks are missing is the concept that the Constitution ( which used to be the law of our land ) says little about security and much about liberty.........It's there to protect us from losing our liberty to the government.......The feds were really only given two primary tasks, national defense and regulating interstate commerce...........Until Sam demonstrates he can properly secure our Southern border, it's difficult for me to have warm and fuzzy feelings about his spy programs...........or his bs about how important world policing is........Should we not start with our borders? It's not a matter of isolationism, it's just priorities..........We can't really prevent terrorism, as we just saw with Fort Hood and Beantown...........Nuts will be nuts.........People who honestly think Sam ( and his drones and big ears ) can keep us totally safe are kidding themselves.........I do, however, think it's reasonable to expect egress to be controlled.......... Warrants to examine security threats are fine...........Collecting mass data is tyranny........This intrusion of our privacy cannot be justified....... Trust me, any day or week now the regime will provide fresh examples to the sheep of how these new spy programs have " saved " us from some supposed upcoming terror threat.........and the sheeple will rejoice.........Trading liberty for security is foolish.........I think somebody may have mentioned that a while back.......
And right on cue........Feds attempt to justify trampling our liberty by telling us how they're keeping us safer.........Don't drink the kool aid, folks........ http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/18/politics/nsa-leaks/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
louis
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: Sep 6 2010
"Warrants to examine security threats are fine...." What is a "security threat" and how might they be identified as such?
"You can teach a man to drink, but he will have to learn to pee on his own." -Louis
louis wrote:
"Warrants to examine security threats are fine...." What is a "security threat" and how might they be identified as such?
First example I can think of.........Muslim foreigners who call the U.S. ......They fit the profile of terrorists and should therefore be monitored....
louis
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: Sep 6 2010
Permit me to offer a hypothetical situation: there is a very popular social event to which you plan to take your entire family. In fact, you do attend it with your entire family and all enjoy a marvelous time. Later, news is leaked that the government, using the data mining techniques they are currently employing, gained knowledge of a plan for a devastating terrorist attack to occur at the event you and your family attended. It would have been of such a magnitude (hey, we can no longer rule out the use of a nuclear device) that there is a good chance none of your family would have survived. Using the same intelligence gained from those data mining techniques, the government was able to thwart the planned attack. How you would you have felt upon hearing that information? Of course, if the attack had actually occurred, all of your yearning for absolute freedom would have been for naught.
"You can teach a man to drink, but he will have to learn to pee on his own." -Louis
louis
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: Sep 6 2010
Mike13 wrote:
First example I can think of.........Muslim foreigners who call the U.S. ......They fit the profile of terrorists and should therefore be monitored....
So just how many "Muslin foreigners" do you suppose we are talking about? And what will be the process for identifying all of those "Muslim foreigners" to whom they are calling and from whom they are receiving calls? And what about Muslims who are living in the US? Do we ignore them? Of course, if we include them, then are we violating their rights? What about extreme rightwing radicals? Should they be included on a terrorist watch? And how do we identify them and their networks?
"You can teach a man to drink, but he will have to learn to pee on his own." -Louis
louis wrote:
Permit me to offer a hypothetical situation: there is a very popular social event to which you plan to take your entire family. In fact, you do attend it with your entire family and all enjoy a marvelous time. Later, news is leaked that the government, using the data mining techniques they are currently employing, gained knowledge of a plan for a devastating terrorist attack to occur at the event you and your family attended. It would have been of such a magnitude (hey, we can no longer rule out the use of a nuclear device) that there is a good chance none of your family would have survived. Using the same intelligence gained from those data mining techniques, the government was able to thwart the planned attack. How you would you have felt upon hearing that information? Of course, if the attack had actually occurred, all of your yearning for absolute freedom would have been for naught.
Come on louis, I think you know Mikey better than that........Principle trumps personal.........I can't place my ( temporal ) life above liberty........It is unacceptable for the feds to use security as an excuse to piss on the Constitution.........Currently employed data mining techniques are an invasion of privacy...........We have to accept the fact that sometimes people will die due to nutjobs and we can't prevent every tragedy.........Liberty, however, can be preserved.........
louis wrote:
So just how many "Muslin foreigners" do you suppose we are talking about? And what will be the process for identifying all of those "Muslim foreigners" to whom they are calling and from whom they are receiving calls? And what about Muslims who are living in the US? Do we ignore them? Of course, if we include them, then are we violating their rights? What about extreme rightwing radicals? Should they be included on a terrorist watch? And how do we identify them and their networks?
The CIA and FBI can their jobs without violating the Constitution.......Spying on foreigners ( even if they live in the US ) is fine........Spying on US citizens without warrants is unacceptable and liberty is lost if we allow this.......
louis
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: Sep 6 2010
Bottom line: my issue is not with my government who has to resort to such measures to protect us...rather, my issue is with all a$$hole terrorists, goons, gangs, cartels, idiots etc., that make such measures necessary. In this instance, I much prefer to direct my ire at those folks. Hang 'em all and hang 'em high and hang 'em publicly ....that's my motto.
"You can teach a man to drink, but he will have to learn to pee on his own." -Louis

NCAA

Bless your heart
Bless your heart